POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : To the Unix gurus ! : Re: To the Unix gurus ! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:18:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: To the Unix gurus !
From: Steve
Date: 23 Jul 2002 13:20:53
Message: <slrnajr41c.k4k.steve@zeropps.org.uk>
On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 18:09:10 +0200, Fabien wrote:
> I need some help about terminals.
> For Pyvon, I would like to use a script to start boths Pyvon and a
> terminal to which the verbose, errors, stats ( in short all the normal
> output) of POV is redirected; with Pyvon taking up 2/3 of the upper
> screen and the terminal the 1/3 left.
>
> For the time being, I start konsole (KDE terminal), resize it so that it
> takes up about 1/3 (at the bottem ) of the screen, type python pyvon.py
> ( to start Pyvon), and then resize Pyvon to fill up the rest to the screen.

How about something a bit more standard like Xterm rather than something that's
desktop specific.

> The best would be a script that test the screen resolution and does the
> rest automatically.

Maybe the X man page or Xresorces man page would be a good place to start
here, also look at the xterm man page there is the "-geometry" option this
is explained in more detail in the X man page.

> Something else :
> How do you send a command into a terminal ( like Xterminal ) which is
> already created so that the output of the command goes back to Xterminal
> ? It's the end of the day's work I am not sure my english is clear
> enough .............

Example:

Open your Xterm like this:

xterm -e tail -f some.file.to.be.read

And start POV something like this:

povray -whatever -option -All_File=some.file.to.be.read

I havn't tested anything here and there are probably better solutions
but it may get you started.

--
#local i=.1;#local I=(i/i)/i;#local l=(i+i)/i;#local ll=(I/i)/l;box{<-ll,
-((I/I)+l),-ll><ll,-l,ll>pigment{checker scale l}finish{ambient((I/l)/I)+