POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Orthographic support broken : Re: Orthographic support broken Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:19:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Orthographic support broken
From: Peter J  Holzer
Date: 20 Jan 2002 14:01:20
Message: <slrna4m39i.694.hjp-usenet@teal.h.hjp.at>
On 2002-01-19 20:58, Christopher James Huff <chr### [at] maccom> wrote:
> In article <3c49cfa0$1@news.povray.org>, "Hugo" <hua### [at] post3teledk>
> wrote:
>
>> My humble opinion is that more words just add complexity but not simplicity
>> for the users. It's best to have just a few words with much freedom. A
>> strict way of expressing a camera is okay if it protects against troubleful
>> rendering, but not if it mostly takes away freedom.. This is a fine balance,
>> but more keywords would give ... a mess.
>
> But using the wrong keyword can be very confusing. Orthographic cameras
> have no angle, the angle keyword does something completely different. A
> "view_area" keyword might be better.

The view area is already given by the up and right vectors. Angle is a
different thing - it's the angle under which the view area appears from
a distance |direction| away. So I think "angle" is ok, even though an
orthographic camera doesn't really have an angle.

	hp

--

|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | Verstand, die Augen haben und nicht sehen,

__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |    -- Jeremia 5:21