POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : unix version 3.5 ? : Re: unix version 3.5 ? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:17:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: unix version 3.5 ?
From: Ron Parker
Date: 5 Nov 2001 15:41:54
Message: <slrn9uduck.97k.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Mon, 05 Nov 2001 21:13:20 +0100, Christoph Hormann wrote:

> Ron Parker wrote:
>>
>> I don't know.  I'm inclined to put my Linux binary somewhere too, with
>> minimal documentation, since I haven't heard anything (nothing at all!  Not
>> even a confirmation that it runs on their systems!) from my pre-beta
>> testers.
>
> I suppose this does not mean the 'regular' pre-beta testers, i have never
> seen a linux version until now.

That is correct.  I asked for some help from the pre-beta folks, but nobody
replied so I looked elsewhere.  Given the amount of demand there is for a
Linux version, you'd think it would be easier to find help with these things.
As it is, I'll probably be putting online real soon now a binary that is only
guaranteed to work on one Linux machine, mine, and that one doesn't run what
any sane person would call a standard distribution (Caldera OpenLinux 2.2
with upgraded kernel, runtime, and compiler, and painfully recent versions
of the standard graphics libs [1])

[1] Though I've heeded the advice of one TAG member who actually did report
back on his experiences and dropped back to the old PNG library in deference
to a certain broken package manager whose initials are RPM.

--
#macro R(L P)sphere{L F}cylinder{L P F}#end#macro P(V)merge{R(z+a z)R(-z a-z)R(a
-z-z-z a+z)torus{1F clipped_by{plane{a 0}}}translate V}#end#macro Z(a F T)merge{