POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Birdbath : Re: Birdbath Server Time
17 Aug 2024 08:17:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Birdbath
From: Steve
Date: 21 Oct 2001 10:09:54
Message: <slrn9t5kr7.936.steve@zero-pps.localdomain>
On Sat, 20 Oct 2001 19:02:26 +0100, 25ct wrote:
>  Hi folks,
>
>                haven't been around for a while, I've been glued to this
>scene and I guess it's my first serious try, (learnt a lot from doing this
>one).

Wow a lot of work has gone into this, so some comments.

The floor tiles/bricks could do with a touch of shinieness to them.

The barrel in the corner seems to have a sharp edge around the top rather
than a flat edge which you'd expect.

Very good looking image.  Some answers to your questions below too.

> 1)  How can I get a nice glow around the street lamp emanating downwards?

Media in a cone, use a very faint white (transparent) along with the colour
Clear in your colour map or maybe a yellowish pigment along with Clear, and
give it plenty of turbulence (have a look at the source code to my halloween
image on my web page, I used this method for the glow coming out of the sugar
pot).

>2)  I'd also like to get the headlights on the cars coming down the valley
>to 'beam'.
>      Any idea's?

Same as above.

>3)  How do I get 'radial' to work? I tried it on the barrell but couldn't
>get it to work.

Experiment on a cylinder, and try rotating the pattern, again I've used this
on the coffee cups in my halloween image so d/l the source code and have a
look.

>     What am I missing here? Also, what can I use to put the 'bands' on the
>barrell?
>     I believe that there are two (from memory)?
>
>    Anyway, hope you like it and comments are always welcome.

Like you say there's more than one way to do this, here's what I'd
probably try.

#declare Band_Cylinder = cylinder{<0,0.1,0>,<0,-0.1,0>,3
                                  pigment{Barrel_Colour/1.1} // Makes it slightly
                                  }                          // darker than barrel.

#declare Barrel_Bands =
intersection{
             object{Barrel scale <1.05,1,1.05>}}
             object{Band_Cylinder translate y*0.75 }
             object{Band_Cylinder}
             object{Band_Cylinder translate y*-0.75 }
            }

#declare Full_Barrel =
union{
      object{Barrel}
      object{Barrel_Bands}
      translate <wherever you want the barrel>
     }

Hope some of that helps.

--
Cheers
Steve              email mailto:ste### [at] zeroppsuklinuxnet

web http://www.zeropps.uklinux.net/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

  2:35pm  up 13 days,  5:16,  1 user,  load average: 1.00, 1.01, 1.00