POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : 16-bit PGM pigment and height field problems : Re: 16-bit PGM pigment and height field problems Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:23:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 16-bit PGM pigment and height field problems
From: Ron Parker
Date: 3 Oct 2001 17:30:33
Message: <slrn9rn0rs.k2v.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Wed, 3 Oct 2001 15:47:38 -0500, Mike Hough wrote:

>My understanding is that this was a problem when using SDTS DEM files with
>Bryce.  Bryce may very well not account for the projection but I thought
>this could be what you were seeing.

Nope, those are tiny position errors.  What I was seeing is that the
edges of the tile aren't horizontal and/or vertical, which is a sign that
the program didn't take the projection into account.  Unfortunately (well,
actually quite fortunately, as far as I'm concerned) I don't work for the
GIS company anymore, and it's been long enough that I don't have any of
the necessary resources for converting from UTM to degrees/minutes/seconds
anymore.

In any event, as long as the tiles are small enough you can probably use
an appropriate rotation to make them almost right.  I just thought I'd
point it out in case you were counting on +Y being north or some such thing.

--
#macro R(L P)sphere{L F}cylinder{L P F}#end#macro P(V)merge{R(z+a z)R(-z a-z)R(a
-z-z-z a+z)torus{1F clipped_by{plane{a 0}}}translate V}#end#macro Z(a F T)merge{