POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : JPEG question : Re: JPEG question Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:22:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPEG question
From: Ron Parker
Date: 26 Sep 2001 11:12:33
Message: <slrn9r3s32.9g2.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Wed, 26 Sep 2001 10:56:09 -0400, Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
>In article <3BB### [at] sycomorefr> , Adrien Beau
><adr### [at] sycomorefr>  wrote:
>
>> First thing to know is, are there many persons suffering from
>> this? Right now, from what Thorsten and Ron just wrote, it
>> seems more of a mis-configured Photoshop than anything else.
>> If lot of people have such problems, it could be time for a
>> new entry in the VFAQ (along the lines "there are lots of
>> ways to write jpeg files, please try all the settings your
>> application has").
>
>No, we actually have reports from other people with different programs that
>also cause problem.  The main reason it is so hard to fix is that POV-Ray
>actually uses the same JPEG library almost all other free programs use (the
>Independent JPEG group's library).  So in theory there should be no problem
>at all, but for some odd reason there is.  I have a copy of the JPEG
>standard somewhere, and if/when my time permits I do plan to look into it,
>but not this week...

It might really be our problem.  An image Gilles provided that refuses to parse
at all under POV works okay with djpeg.  Here's what djpeg says in the debug
output:

Independent JPEG Group's DJPEG, version 6a  7-Feb-96
Copyright (C) 1996, Thomas G. Lane
Start of Image
JFIF APP0 marker, density 72x72  1
Skipping marker 0xed, length 4490
Skipping marker 0xe2, length 3160
Adobe APP14 marker: version 100, flags 0x8000 0x0000, transform 1
Define Quantization Table 0  precision 0
Define Quantization Table 1  precision 0
Start Of Frame 0xc0: width=932, height=933, components=3
    Component 1: 2hx2v q=0
    Component 2: 1hx1v q=1
    Component 3: 1hx1v q=1
Define Restart Interval 59
Define Huffman Table 0x00
Define Huffman Table 0x01
Define Huffman Table 0x10
Define Huffman Table 0x11
Start Of Scan: 3 components
    Component 1: dc=0 ac=0
    Component 2: dc=1 ac=1
    Component 3: dc=1 ac=1
  Ss=0, Se=63, Ah=0, Al=0
End Of Image

--
#macro R(L P)sphere{L F}cylinder{L P F}#end#macro P(V)merge{R(z+a z)R(-z a-z)R(a
-z-z-z a+z)torus{1F clipped_by{plane{a 0}}}translate V}#end#macro Z(a F T)merge{