POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Eval in POV-ray : Re: Eval in POV-ray Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:18:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Eval in POV-ray
From: Ron Parker
Date: 9 Sep 2001 23:36:30
Message: <slrn9pod9t.gv.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 01:23:39 +0300, Nikodemus Siivola wrote:
>Maybe in 4.0/derivatives then, since having just read the license it is
>given to understand that a more liberal license maybe coming up?

Do reflect on the fact that 4.0 will be a complete rewrite and that 3.5
took this long to get out.  I wouldn't make any short-term plans around
4.0.

>As for the security implications, it would IMO be next to trivial to
>implement a switch that would turn of all potentially harmful
>functionalities (system and fwrite, for example), or even better: function
>along the lines of taint checks in various other languages (Perl and Ruby
>come to mind).

The difference is that an entire POV script should be viewed as possibly
tainted, because we don't know its provenance.  In Perl, you usually know
the provenance of the script file and are only concerned about the user
input.  As for adding a switch, yes, that could be done along the lines of
the current I/O restrictions.  It's not something that's been seen as a high
priority.  What are you wanting to do with system that you can't do with a
preframe shellout?

--
#macro R(L P)sphere{L F}cylinder{L P F}#end#macro P(V)merge{R(z+a z)R(-z a-z)R(a
-z-z-z a+z)torus{1F clipped_by{plane{a 0}}}translate V}#end#macro Z(a F T)merge{