POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Bugs in 3.5 beta 1 for Windows : Re: Bugs in 3.5 beta 1 for Windows Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:26:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bugs in 3.5 beta 1 for Windows
From: Ron Parker
Date: 5 Sep 2001 23:23:36
Message: <slrn9pdque.tb6.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On 5 Sep 2001 21:18:22 -0400, Michael Davis wrote:
>First, I'm seeing some sort of corruption on an object using the
>crackle pattern for both the pigment and normal aspects of the
>texture.  Specifically, there are lots of horizontal streaks
>running across the surface of the object in one area of it.  I
>haven't seen anything like this rendering the same scene under
>either version 3.1g or MegaPov 0.7 (also for Windows).

Any chance you can provide a scene file that shows just this effect
without all of the other stuff?

>Second, I also use Chris Colefax's Galaxy include file for many of
>the scenes I do, and at least some of the backgrounds it generates
>have a weird seam under 3.5 beta 1.  Basically, there's a randomly
>curving horizontal boundary going across the whole background
>starting somewhere near the middle.  You can see it because the
>colors in the background appear slightly different on each side.
>Again, the same backgrounds didn't display this problem in either
>version 3.1g or MegaPov 0.7.

This seems to be because the behavior of the "gradient" pattern has
changed in 3.5, to get rid of the reflection about the axes.  To fix
it, you'll have to figure out where in the include file gradient is
being used and substitute the macro that is provided for backward
compatibility (I've forgotten the name of the macro, unfortunately.)
Alternatively, you may have to wait until Mr. Colefax gets the include
file updated for 3.5.

--
#macro R(L P)sphere{L F}cylinder{L P F}#end#macro P(V)merge{R(z+a z)R(-z a-z)R(a
-z-z-z a+z)torus{1F clipped_by{plane{a 0}}}translate V}#end#macro Z(a F T)merge{