POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : pov 4 sun : Re: pov 4 sun Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:22:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pov 4 sun
From: Ron Parker
Date: 10 Apr 2001 13:15:20
Message: <slrn9d6fta.4cd.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 12:53:43 -0400, Dennis Clarke wrote:
>I use Sun Solaris as my primary workstation so I can help you with this.
>First you will need to get a recent copy of Pov-Ray and the binaries on the
>Pov-Ray site are grossly out of date with no hope of that changing.  God only
>knows why.

Something about none of us having a Sun machine to test them on.  Anybody
has an old SparcStation they were just gonna throw out, let me know.

>fine machine but don't expect blazing performance.  You need a multi-cpu
>system for that and the E450 can have only four cpus, that's nothing to write
>home to mom about.

It seems a multi-cpu machine would be wasted on stock POV anyway, unless
you're rendering animations or splitting up the frame for stills.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.