POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : yet another mengersponge... : Menger in space - 53 kbu (was: yet another mengersponge...) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 02:20:07 EDT (-0400)
  Menger in space - 53 kbu (was: yet another mengersponge...)
From: Peter J  Holzer
Date: 13 Mar 2001 18:02:38
Message: <slrn9at7h6.b30.hjp-usenet@teal.h.hjp.at>
On 2001-03-10 12:23, Chris Huff <chr### [at] maccom> wrote:
>In article <3AA8E44A.6218AF06@stress.uio.no>, Simen Kvaal
><sim### [at] stressuiono> wrote:
>
>> Thus, better and better approximations would tend to a more and more
>> opaque object which take longer and longer to render. I'd say; skip
>> the transparency. :)
>
>Um, with better approximations, the volume the ray passes through will
>decrease, and the sponge will become more and more *transparent*. You
>will get a fainter and fainter image of the sponge, until it is
>invisible. But as I said above, I'm only interested in an approximation,
>maybe 3-5 levels...a real sponge would be impossible.

I have started one at 4 levels (CSG, no isosurface), but it seems that
this will take a few days (or weeks) to render. At two levels, the
transparent sponge looks rather boring, but the histogram has a mildly
interesting, space-ship-like look, so I'm posting that instead:

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'menger-2-t5-h.jpg' (52 KB)

Preview of image 'menger-2-t5-h.jpg'