POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Why can't patterns be declared ? : Re: Why can't patterns be declared ? Server Time
1 Sep 2024 16:16:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why can't patterns be declared ?
From: Ron Parker
Date: 2 Mar 2001 17:02:58
Message: <slrn9a064k.il.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Fri, 02 Mar 2001 16:51:41 -0500, Chris Huff wrote:
>In article <slr### [at] fwicom>, ron### [at] povrayorg
>wrote:
>
>> Be careful.  There are some gotchas with identifiers that I just found
>> whilst gallivanting through the code.
>
>Anything in particular? I've been following the code for the spline {}
>patch, and my interpolated transformations seem to be declaring fine...I
>haven't tested them with macros or arrays, though. And I've noticed that
>my #set patch doesn't work for arrays.

Macros is the biggie.  Identifiers as arguments to macros are passed by
reference, and the code to do that is... interesting.

>> Originally it was to have taken a pattern as argument.  I don't remember
>> now why it wasn't written to do so, but I suspect it had something to do
>> with transforms and other warps not being usable at that level, or with
>> things like pigment_map and average that aren't strictly patterns.  Maybe
>> I should keep a diary of these things.
>
>Well, pigments have colors...but I don't recall if this "image" type can
>be used outside height fields (and I can't think of any reason you
>*would* use it directly...).

Ah, that one I can answer (one would hope so, since I wrote the patch.)  It
can be used outside height fields, and such a thing was used to create the
images you'll find at

http://www2.fwi.com/~parkerr/hfstones.jpg
http://www2.fwi.com/~parkerr/hfstone2.jpg

because I hadn't told MCB that we needed a planar warp yet. :)

>it wasn't around then. Similar to the reason pigments are useable as
>isosurface functions, but patterns aren't.
>[...]
>There are? The only way I can think of would be to write a macro that
>uses eval_pigment() to create a mesh...and that's only for height fields.

You answered your own question, there, sorta.

>> Not likely to happen now, though, for hysterical raisins.
>
>If it *is* modified or removed, it should be now, before there are
>enough "hysterical raisins". I doubt there is anyone who has used it who
>wasn't aware that it is an experimental feature of an unofficial version.

Ah, what I meant was a different sort of hysterical raisins.  I can't really
elaborate here; ask me in a different place.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.