POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Where is my object? : Re: Where is my object? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 10:31:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where is my object?
From: Ron Parker
Date: 8 Feb 2001 16:37:55
Message: <slrn9864dl.653.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Thu, 8 Feb 2001 16:21:04 -0500, Spock wrote:
>Now that it works I want to connect a couple of objects in my scene... but I
>don't know where they are.  Since the objects can move around in the scene
>in a variety of ways it is not really practical to work out the various
>transformations and try to compute the object location.

You could vtransform() a point as you transform the object

>To pinpoint the exact location I added a small object to the union that
>makes up my big object, and it moves in accordance with the transformations
>applied to the union.  But how do I find out where it ended up?  Any
>thoughts?

If you make the small object a sphere centered on the point you're trying to
follow, the center of its bounding box will be on the transformed point.
But min_extent and max_extent work with #declared objects, which means they
won't work with a piece of a CSG as you want.  I know there was some talk
of being able to extract the transformation matrix from an object, but I
don't know if anyone ever wrote that patch.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.