POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : a whole bunch of roses [273kb] : Re: a whole bunch of roses [273kb] Server Time
19 Aug 2024 06:19:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: a whole bunch of roses [273kb]
From: Peter J  Holzer
Date: 4 Feb 2001 12:01:44
Message: <slrn97qt83.hut.hjp-usenet@teal.h.hjp.at>
On 2001-02-03 21:57, Peter J. Holzer <hjp### [at] SiKituwsracat> wrote:
>On 2001-02-02 21:29, D.J. Brown <ext### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>>It's the recommended replacement for GIFs by the W3C and has built-in
>>gamma correction.
>
>Yes, that's handy. PNG is a very nice file format, but the lack of a
>lossy compression mode is really a disadvantage compared to JPG.

Sorry for following up on my own post, but I have been browsing a bit on
www.libpng.org after posting.

Interestingly enough, there is now also a "JNG" format, which
encapsulates a JPEG stream in a PNG or MNG file format. Haven't looked
at it in detail, but this might be a way to combine the good compression
of JPEG with features (like gamma correction, gamut specifications,
alpha channel) of PNG and also use it for animations (in MNG).

See http://www.libpng.org/pub/mng/spec/draft-jng.html for details.

	hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | All Linux applications run on Solaris,
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | which is our implementation of Linux.