POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : PovRay faster : Re: PovRay faster Server Time
2 Sep 2024 00:18:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay faster
From: Peter J  Holzer
Date: 3 Feb 2001 18:02:13
Message: <slrn97p19e.fh7.hjp-usenet@teal.h.hjp.at>
On 2001-02-01 10:18, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>Peter J. Holzer <hjp### [at] sikituwsracat> wrote:
>: a dll with the time critical routines
>
>  What do you mean "a dll"?
>  How do you use dll's with *STANDARD* C (or C++)?

You don't have to for two reasons:

1) Creating and using a DLL is normally done with special options to the
    linker. No change to the source code is necessary, unless you need
    to decide at run time which DLL you want to load, which isn't
    necessary in this case. The compilation and linking process is
    system dependent anyway, so an additional flag for the linker won't
    hurt.

2) The optimizations Daniel are talking about are extremely system
    dependent anyway. If you start replacing major parts of the source
    code with inline assembly which will only compile with a certain
    compiler and run on a certain platform, adding a bit of code which
    handles loading a shared library on that platform (should it really
    be necessary. which I doubt) is the least of your worries.

>  Don't forget that povray has to be compiled for several platforms. Also
>for Linux (I don't think that Linux supports Windows DLL's),

No, it hasn't windows EXE files either, so why should it have Windows
DLLs? It has its own scheme for shared libraries.

In fact I am using povray on Linux (and sometimes HP-UX and Solaris),
not Windows.

	hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | All Linux applications run on Solaris,
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | which is our implementation of Linux.