POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : a whole bunch of roses [273kb] : Re: a whole bunch of roses [273kb] Server Time
19 Aug 2024 00:25:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: a whole bunch of roses [273kb]
From: Peter J  Holzer
Date: 3 Feb 2001 18:02:08
Message: <slrn97ovn0.fh7.hjp-usenet@teal.h.hjp.at>
On 2001-02-02 21:29, D.J. Brown <ext### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>"Tom Melly" <tom### [at] tomandlucouk> wrote in message
>> BTW jpeg compression has been suprisingly unpleasant to them -

Have a look at
http://www.students.tut.fi/~warp/povVFAQ/filesVFAQ.html#noartifactsinjpeg

>> is png acceptable for the majority now?
>
>I think PNG would be fine for everyone.

PNGs are for most scenes a lot larger than JPGs. So for those of us who
use modems and don't have a flat rate, they are a waste of resources and
money.

>It's the recommended replacement for GIFs by the W3C and has built-in
>gamma correction.

Yes, that's handy. PNG is a very nice file format, but the lack of a
lossy compression mode is really a disadvantage compared to JPG.

	hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | All Linux applications run on Solaris,
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | which is our implementation of Linux.