POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : PovRay faster : Re: PovRay faster Server Time
2 Sep 2024 04:16:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay faster
From: Peter J  Holzer
Date: 31 Jan 2001 20:01:34
Message: <slrn97ha75.o4o.hjp-usenet@teal.h.hjp.at>
On 2001-01-31 15:15, Thorsten Froehlich <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:
>In article <3a781e9c@news.povray.org> , "Daniel Jungmann" <DSJ### [at] gmxnet>
>wrote:
>
>> That is realy no problem! The program can find out which CPU is there and
>> load a DLL which renders the scene file.
>
>So people would have to download 1.5*10 + 5 = 20 MB of files?

How did you compute that?

The code segment of povray for linux/intel is about 550 kB. Following
the rule of thumb that 90 percent of the time is spent in 10 % of the
code, a dll with the time critical routines would be about 55 kB. So for
each supported processor variant the executable package would increase
by about 55 kB.

Of course this assumes that the time critical routines can be moved to a
dll. It is possible that these code fragments are so short that function
calls (as opposed to inlining) add more overhead than can be saved by
carefully hand-crafting them in assembler.

I am also ignoring the trouble of generating and loading dlls on
different platforms since these optimizations are platform dependent
anyway.

	hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | All Linux applications run on Solaris,
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | which is our implementation of Linux.