POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : PovRay faster : Re: PovRay faster Server Time
2 Sep 2024 04:14:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay faster
From: Peter J  Holzer
Date: 31 Jan 2001 20:01:32
Message: <slrn97h9ao.o4o.hjp-usenet@teal.h.hjp.at>
On 2001-01-30 15:04, Daniel Jungmann <DSJ### [at] gmxnet> wrote:
>> It is also a compiler problem. You didn't say which compiler you used or
>> how you got it to produce 3D!Now code. Essentially there are 3
>> possibilities:
>>
>> 1) You have a compiler which can generate 3D!Code out of "natural" C
>>     code.
>>
>> 2) You have a compiler which can generate 3D!Now code, if the C code
>>    follows a certain pattern.
>>
>> 3) You used inline assembly.
>
>The question is not 1, 2 or 3, the question is for answer 3 you need not
>verry mucht time, but answer 1 is also possible, but verry much more work!

I have trouble interpreting this sentence. Can you repeat in German? :-)

If I understood it correctly, quite the reverse is true.

For possibility 1 you need only the time to recompile the source - a
few minutes. (Unless you have to write the compiler first, but I didn't
think you did that).

For possibility 3 you need to analyse povray source code to see where
you can speed it up and replace C code by inline assembly. That's quite
a bit of work (you wrote something about 30 hours, IIRC), it must be
repeated for every CPU type (and possibly compiler), and everybody else
who is going to maintain that code in the future will have more work,
too.

	hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | All Linux applications run on Solaris,
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | which is our implementation of Linux.