POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : PovRay faster : Re: PovRay faster Server Time
1 Sep 2024 22:19:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay faster
From: Ron Parker
Date: 30 Jan 2001 08:08:39
Message: <slrn97df6o.qf.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Mon, 29 Jan 2001 22:52:47 -0600, David Fontaine wrote:
>Aside from that, any mathematician will tell you the sample rate is
>insufficient. The highest frequency a person can hear is around 20kHz. The
>sample rate of a CD is 44kHz. It should be at least double that, 5x the
>highest frequency. Think about it, you could be sampling near the zero
>point every time.

Careful... I am a mathematician, though I don't practice anymore.  The
Nyquist Theorem says a sampling frequency of twice the highest expected
frequency is sufficient to recreate anything at or below that expected
frequency.  Thus, CDs can accurately reproduce sounds at 22050 Hz and
below.

It is important, though, to filter out anything above 22050 Hz before
the digitizing stage, due to aliasing.  I suspect most professionals do
so as a matter of course.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.