POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Scanline rendering? : Re: Scanline rendering? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 16:22:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scanline rendering?
From: Peter J  Holzer
Date: 23 Jan 2001 18:03:17
Message: <slrn96s0tk.3d4.hjp-usenet@teal.h.hjp.at>
On 2001-01-18 11:44, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>  Basic raytracing is pretty simple. Anyone with minimal knowledge of
>programming and calculus can make a simple sphere/plane raytracer (with
>reflections and refractions and simple textures).
>
>  Scanline rendering is, however, a lot harder process. It requires tons of
>complicated algorithms and code.

Actually, basic scanline rendering is quite simple, even simpler than
raytracing. Making fast enough for action games is different matter,
however (I tried to write a racing game when a 386/25 MHz was a fast
computer - never finished it).

	hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | All Linux applications run on Solaris,
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | which is our implementation of Linux.