POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : file init error : Re: file init error Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:24:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: file init error
From: Steve
Date: 3 Dec 2000 23:42:27
Message: <slrn92m7gh.egn.steve@zero-pps.localdomain>
On Sun, 03 Dec 2000 21:52:57 -0600, David F wrote:

>> Looks like POV tries to output the image someplace where you don't have write
>> permission as regular user. Perhaps you have set the default output directory
>> (with the Output_File_Name INI option) to such a location?
>
>There was no Output_File_Name INI option in my .povrayrc, should there be one?

I don't have one in my file, and it works fine.  Try specifying the
output path on the command line like:

x-povray -ilights.pov -o/home/sjlen/pov/lights.ppm -W800 -H600 -a

You probably want this stuff in a directory within your home directory
otherwise it'll get messy very quickly.

Then try:

$ touch somefile.test

and see if you get a permission denied error.

--
Cheers
Steve              email mailto:ste### [at] zeroppsuklinuxnet

web http://www.zeropps.uklinux.net/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

  4:20am  up 54 days,  6:44,  2 users,  load average: 1.10, 1.21, 1.33