POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : ibatch for *.ttf font with beveld edges? : Re: ibatch for *.ttf font with beveld edges? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 02:13:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ibatch for *.ttf font with beveld edges?
From: Ron Parker
Date: 22 Nov 2000 10:46:23
Message: <slrn91nqih.een.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Wed, 22 Nov 2000 12:44:35 +0200, Peter Popov wrote:
>On 20 Nov 2000 00:43:24 -0500, ron### [at] povrayorg (Ron Parker)
>wrote:
>
>>Mathematically, it's impossible to do in a general way.  Specifically, you
>>can't create a curve that's parallel to an arbitrary cubic or quadratic curve.
>
>Hmm... CorelDraw! seems to do it in one way or the other. The result
>is a non-tesselated curve. How come?

Good question.  I do know it's possible to approximate a parallel to
an arbitrary cubic with piecewise cubics; I have a reference to a paper
on that around here somewhere.  My source for the statement that you can't
do it with arbitrary cubics is the c.g.algorithms FAQ; I can't support my
statement for quadratics.

From the FAQ:

Subject 4.01: How do I generate a Bezier curve that is parallel to another
Bezier?

    You can't.  The only case where this is possible is when the
    Bezier can be represented by a straight line.  And then the
    parallel 'Bezier' can also be represented by a straight line.

    The situation is different for the broader class of rational
    Bezier curves.  For example, these can represent circular arcs,
    and a parallel offset is just a concentric circular arc, also
    representable as a rational Bezier.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.