POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : ibatch for *.ttf font with beveld edges? : Re: ibatch for *.ttf font with beveld edges? Server Time
1 Sep 2024 20:21:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ibatch for *.ttf font with beveld edges?
From: Ron Parker
Date: 20 Nov 2000 00:43:24
Message: <slrn91heg0.bn5.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Sun, 19 Nov 2000 08:04:26 -0800, Ken wrote:

>hary wrote:
>>
>> is there a  version to create a text from a *.ttf font with beveld
>> edges?
>
>None that I am aware of. I have tried to talk a few people into
>writting such a patch but it is very difficult to do and no one
>wants to spend the time on it.

Mathematically, it's impossible to do in a general way.  Specifically, you
can't create a curve that's parallel to an arbitrary cubic or quadratic curve.
Since POV uses curves rather than decomposing them into lines (as elefont does)
it can't be done without making some major (and ugly) changes in the way TTF
objects work.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.