POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Runing POV-Ray : Re: Runing POV-Ray Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:25:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Runing POV-Ray
From: Steve
Date: 16 Nov 2000 23:48:51
Message: <slrn919e3i.gv7.steve@zero-pps.localdomain>
On Thu, 16 Nov 2000 11:51:00 -0800, David wrote:
>I just installed Red Hat Linux a few days ago, and noticed that it includes
>POV-Ray - long my Macintosh hobby. I installed it, and now I con't launch
>it. What's the trick to starting the thing? I've been using the KDE system,
>which calls the smaple files "executables" (!). Can anyone help this newbie?

In an Xterm type:

$ which x-povray

I get "/usr/local/bin/x-povray", so it's in my path, to find out what your
path is set to do:

$ echo $PATH

Must be PATH must be upper case, I get
"/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/sjlen/bin",

so I go into my home directory and set up the .povrayrc file which is like
the povray.ini file in windows, edit that file and make the appropriate
changes.  Create yourself a pov directory in your home directory, and then
put some pov files in it.

To render type:

$ x-povray -Isomefile.pov -Osomefile.ppm -W320 -H240 -A

The -I stands for input file, the -O for output file, -W for image
width, -H for image height and -A to turn AA off.

Fur some brief help do:

$ x-povray -h

I've produced a small utility which works with an Rxvt window to
give you menu access to the most common command line options,
it's on my websit in the Linux Stuff section, d/l it and read
the documentation, it's fairly straight forward to get it up and
running.

--
Cheers
Steve              email mailto:ste### [at] zeroppsuklinuxnet

web http://www.zeropps.uklinux.net/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

  3:16am  up 37 days,  5:38,  2 users,  load average: 3.00, 3.00, 3.00