POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : It hurts... (~113kau) : Re: It hurts... (~113kau) Server Time
20 Aug 2024 00:12:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It hurts... (~113kau)
From: Ron Parker
Date: 22 Sep 2000 14:31:55
Message: <slrn8sna66.5rh.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Fri, 22 Sep 2000 11:31:33 -0500, Tony[B] wrote:
>> You're using radiosity. The radiosity samples are stored in an octree
>> for faster access. Seems you ran out of memory and when (M)POV took
>> another radiosity sample (during the actual rendering) and tried to
>> store it, it could not 'allocate 144 for [the] octree block.'
>
>Why can't this [friggin'] octree be stored to the hard disk instead of RAM?
>Is there any way that MegaPOV could precalculate the needed RAM before
>rendering? That would be helpful.

It goes in RAM because the hard disk would be too slow.  The octree is used
to find the closest sample while rendering, so looking it up in a database
would kinda suck, render-time-wise.

It can't precalculate because it computes the radiosity samples as they're
needed.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.
Proudly not helping RIAA and SDMI steal my rights --
  http://www.eff.org/Misc/EFF/Newsletters/EFFector/HTML/effect13.08.html