POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Check out my povray rendering farm! : Re: Check out my povray rendering farm! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:26:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Check out my povray rendering farm!
From: Peter J  Holzer
Date: 17 Sep 2000 18:01:43
Message: <slrn8sad1a.1a0.hjp-usenet@teal.h.hjp.at>
On Sat, 16 Sep 2000 20:26:34 +0000, Francois Dispot wrote:
>Warp wrote:
>>
>> Simon Lemieux <lem### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
>> : Ok, give me a file.pov that can erase
>> : all my hard disk!
>>
>>   A pov file that #fopens a startup file (such as .login) and
>> appends there some nasty shell commands... The file could also open
>> povray.ini and append the nasty commands there as a pre-scene or
>> post-scene command.
>
>That was exactly what I had in mind...

I don't know how Simon has set up his farm, of course, but I did
something like this, I'd run the povray processes as a separate user
which doesn't have write permissions to any file except the working
directory.

>also create a nice script named "povray",

The working directory shouldn't be in the PATH of povray.

>just for fun, to see how your path is set... But it could also create
>an infinite number of files. Or infinitely long ones. It costs you
>nothing to saturate the filesystem.

True (well, until you hit the quotas - but unless every job runs under a
different uid that would still stop all other rendering jobs). There is
no easy way to prevent that, but you can detect working directories over
a certain size and kill their jobs.

>I would be very sorry if you got in trouble just because you opened a
>nice rendering farm to everyone.

I have a suggestion: Would it be possible to upload a tar (or zip) file
with all the files decribing a scene? I tend to split my scenes into
many small files.

	hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | access ist als datenbankserver fraglos noch
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | ungeeigneter als beispielsweise EDIT.COM,
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ | falscher erwartungshaltungen. frank paulsen