POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MegaPov is dead. Long live MegaPov+? : Re: MegaPov is dead. Long live MegaPov+? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 04:17:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MegaPov is dead. Long live MegaPov+?
From: Ron Parker
Date: 13 Sep 2000 10:43:26
Message: <slrn8rv5d9.v1.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Wed, 13 Sep 2000 15:33:06 +0100, Tom Melly wrote:
>Now I'm confused. I thought mp had the superpatch stuff in it, and why pov
>3.1a?
>
>Why not POV 3.1g + MP 0.5a - garbage + improvements + bugfixes.

It's historical.  I think Nathan is a bit confused on the early history,
which happened before either of us were on the team, but I sent the code
for the Superpatch to Chris Young when 3.5 was but a glimmer, and before
MegaPOV even existed (but after 3.1g existed.)  The actual order of things
was  POV 3.1g + Superpatch (based on 3.1d) + ...

The "easy" way you mention would have required the team to have started
work on 3.5 much later than they actually did.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.