POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POV-Ray 3.1 to other file formats - a possible solution : Re: POV-Ray 3.1 to other file formats - a possible solution Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:34:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray 3.1 to other file formats - a possible solution
From: Ron Parker
Date: 21 Aug 2000 00:52:27
Message: <slrn8q1e3j.oo.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Mon, 14 Aug 2000 22:49:46 +0200, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
>>Tesselating a sphere is pretty easy, and wouldn't require MegaPOV.
>
>Yes. But even for such a simple CSG as in the example I gave (difference
>of two spheres) it isn't that simple any more. There are already three
>cases:
>1) The spheres don't intersect at all (easy - just tesselate the first one)
>2) The second is completely inside the first (also easy - tesselate both
>   but invert the normals of the second).
>3) Their surfaces intersect (a bit more complicated - you have to
>    compute the circle where they intersect, then tesselate two partial
>    spheres).

Or, you tesselate both spheres, ensure no triangles intersect, and perform
the CSG operation on the resulting meshes.  If you can depend on the
surfaces to be well-behaved, there are even shortcuts that can be taken to
avoid testing insideness for every single vertex.

CSG is not the difficult thing to tesselate.  Things like julia objects
and infinite polys and other implicit objects are.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.