POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : object oriented features : Re: object oriented features Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:24:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: object oriented features
From: Ron Parker
Date: 20 Aug 2000 23:59:36
Message: <slrn8q1b0g.oo.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Sun, 20 Aug 2000 11:08:18 -0500, Chris Huff wrote:
>I don't think you can easily extract from a matrix which also stores
>translations, scaling, and arbitrary matrix transforms. Just make the
>matrix available, the user can override the rotate() methods to save
>each rotation in a vector if they want.

You might be surprised.  Except for the arbitrary transforms (which make
the problem different, but possibly not much more difficult) it's relatively
easy to decompose a matrix into rotations, scales, and translates.  I wrote
the whole mess up for someone in c.g.r.r. a few years ago; I think I might
still have it in my outbox.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.