POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Why & has higher precedence than + or - in isosurface functions? : Re: Why & has higher precedence than + or - in isosurface functions? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 08:13:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why & has higher precedence than + or - in isosurface functions?
From: Ron Parker
Date: 2 Aug 2000 12:53:12
Message: <slrn8ogl6d.8in.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Wed, 02 Aug 2000 11:58:08 -0400, pk wrote:
>What do you mean? Isosurfaces are booleans for me: at location <x, y,
>z>, there's a point(true, or 1), or there isn't any(false or 0)... So,
>you have a function that draw a plane, and another one that draws a
>sphere...

More specifically, a point is either inside or outside the isosurface.

>You AND them... the result? a circle... You & them... the result? a
>circle...
>In theory, it might not be the same, but let's ask the person who did
>the patch about it...

Well, in the code, the function that performs that operation is called
"and," but it doesn't use a logical operator to do what it does (it uses
min or max)  Personally, I always think of intersection/union as and/or
anyway, preferring to use CS methods to decompose complex CSG operations.
They're pretty interchangeable at this level, but it's not a mistake
you'd want to make in a higher-level math or CS course.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.