POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Why didn't this work? : Re: Why didn't this work? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 14:17:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why didn't this work?
From: Ron Parker
Date: 6 Jul 2000 15:35:48
Message: <slrn8m9okq.nsn.ron.parker@linux.parkerr.fwi.com>
On Thu, 6 Jul 2000 20:58:49 +0200, Marc-Hendrik Bremer wrote:
>OK, and there is probably nothing wrong about it.
>
>But I wonder if it would be possible to write a macro which does the
>following:
>1. Translate the Object which is specified by a parameter to the Origin
>(with whatever point one chooses for the non-existing origin of the object)
>2. Rotate or scale or whatever the Object by a specified (through a
>parameter) amount
>3. Translate the Object back to its place

If you look through some (really) old posts on povray.windows you'll find
some reference to macros that do what you want and more.  The post says
they don't work due to a bug, but the bug's been fixed in 3.1g.  Here's
the relevant headers from the most useful post in the thread, but it's
educational to read the whole thread (except the flamewar parts.)

From: par### [at] my-dejanewscom (Ron Parker)
Newsgroups:   povray.windows
Subject: Re: Local Transformations
Date: 8 Jan 1999 10:32:17 -0500

>It might be useful or not :-), but I don't know if it is possible to find
>out where a Object is, say you have a sphere at <10,0,10>. Is it possible to
>get this vector from the "sphere-statement" (without declaring it
>previously)? Did not here about something like this yet.

That doesn't make sense.  Where is a box?  Where is a complex mesh object?
Where is an isosurface that simulates an asteroid field?  Where is
union {sphere{0,1} sphere {20,1}}?  (I think you'll find that this is covered
in more detail in the other thread, too.)

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.