POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : user survey - please answer : Re: user survey - please answer Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:26:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: user survey - please answer
From: Steve
Date: 23 Jun 2000 22:17:12
Message: <slrn8l7rv0.db7.sjlen@zero-pps.localdomain>
On Thu, 22 Jun 2000 22:50:56 -0500, Mark Gordon wrote:

>1) Under what operating systems do you use POV-Ray? Please be specific
>as to e.g. Linux distributions, versions, and so forth.  Multiple
>answers are fine.

Linux RH 6.2

>2) Do you want POV-Ray for Unix to have an official GUI front-end for
>your platform? Please indicate which one(s) if you list several
>platforms.

No not a gui but a straightforward editor a la EDIT.EXE in dos (where
SHIFT+ARROWKEY marks text and SHIFT+INSERT copies it etc). Something
that can be run in more than one xterm at once.

>3) Would you want such a front-end to have a built-in editor?
>
>4) Any preference on languages/GUI libraries on such a front end, pro or
>con? (Tcl/Tk, Perl/Tk, Python Tkinter, Java AWT, gtk+, Gnome, KDE,
>Motif/Lesstif)

I use Gnome.

>5) What editor do you use for editing .pov files?

Pico. (with manus and line wraps turned off).

>6) What format(s) do you prefer for documentation? (HTML, ASCII, PDF,
>ps, man, info, Word document, etc.)

ASCII and if images are included then HTML or PDF.

>7) What sort of package management do you prefer for precompiled
>binaries?

Just tar.gz is fine.

>8) What unofficial version(s) of POV-Ray (e.g. MegaPov, PVMPOV) do you
>use on a regular basis?

MegaPov.

>What I plan to get from this:
>1) Insight into the platforms for which official binaries perhaps ought
>to exist, used with 2, 3, and 4 to determine the operating systems(s)
>for which there is the strongest demand for a GUI, which in turn will
>help determine the language/toolkit used.
>2) Related to the second part of 1.  Given the eventuality of an
>official GUI for Unix, this lets me know what platforms it needs to run
>on, which again affects the choice of language/toolkit.  In any event,
>the core renderer will remain available from the command line.
>3) While the last thing Unix needs is another text editor, I may be
>included to include one given
>sufficient interest.  Or I might do it on a lark, for which I'd hope
>you'd forgive me. ;-)

Yes Yes Yes, see my answer above.

--
Cheers
Steve              email mailto:sjl### [at] ndirectcouk

web http://www.ndirect.co.uk/~sjlen/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

 11:54pm  up 6 days, 45 min,  1 user,  load average: 1.39, 1.41, 1.28