POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Viewing attachments with slrn : Re: Viewing attachments with slrn Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:21:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Viewing attachments with slrn
From: Ron Parker
Date: 5 Jun 2000 15:05:43
Message: <slrn8jnv7v.500.ron.parker@linux.parkerr.fwi.com>
On 4 Jun 2000 10:59:03 -0400, Steve wrote:

>I've got a way of viewing attachments from p.b.i in slrn,
>just press "v" while the article is open and it opens
>the display utility of ImageMagic with the attached image.

I have a program called "uudeview" that automatically decodes MIME and
UUEncoded images in my slrnpull spool, and I have a script that runs
after my nightly cron job to decode the day's new images:

---------------------------------
#!/bin/sh
echo Decoding new images.
ls >newrun
diff newrun prevrun \
| perl -ne "print if s/< (\\d+)/\\1/;" \
| xargs /usr/local/bin/uudeview -ifs -p decoded
rm prevrun
mv newrun prevrun
cd decoded
chmod 644 *
---------------------------------

Then I just use whatever tools I have to browse the images in decoded
and move them to another directory when I'm done.  Here's what the
output from uudeview looks like for a sample post from a few days ago:

Note: No encoded data found in 34422
Loaded from 34423: 'REALLY complex images for inspiration ...' (REALLY): mission
_possible_frame.jpg part 1   Base64
Loaded from 34423: 'REALLY complex images for inspiration ...' (REALLY): mission
_possible_frame_102.jpg part 1   Base64
Loaded from 34423: 'REALLY complex images for inspiration ...' (REALLY): Colosse
o3.jpg part 1   Base64
Loaded from 34423: 'REALLY complex images for inspiration ...' (REALLY): gladiat
or_coliseum_frame3.jpg part 1   Base64
Loaded from 34423: 'REALLY complex images for inspiration ...' (REALLY): dinosau
r-c-480_explosion_frame.jpg part 1   Base64
Loaded from 34423: 'REALLY complex images for inspiration ...' (REALLY): dinosau
r-c-480_run_frame.jpg part 1   Base64
Note: No encoded data found in 34424

I'm not familiar with ImageMagick, but if it takes multiple images on the
command line, you could use uudeview to decode in a temp directory, then use
ls and xargs to start ImageMagick, then remove the temp directory when done.
Search freshmeat if you want uudeview.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.