POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Is this a known bug? : Re: Is this a known bug? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 04:14:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is this a known bug?
From: Ron Parker
Date: 1 Jun 2000 14:40:01
Message: <slrn8jdc5t.2pn.ron.parker@linux.parkerr.fwi.com>
On 1 Jun 2000 13:33:27 -0400, Warp wrote:
>Ron Parker <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote:
>: Though I consider the fact that a comma is necessary a bug.
>
>  I would consider not throwing a syntax error when there isn't a comma a bug.
>If you see "comma expected but blah blah found instead" you will probably
>see quite fast what is the problem.

That would be true if commas were required anywhere else in the language.
As it is, they're only required when it's necessary to disambiguate the
elements of a vector ( <1,-2,3> vs. <1 -2 3>, one of which is a 3-vector
and one of which is a 2-vector.)

Besides, the problem stems from the fact that POV doesn't recognize a
difference between

  Puce Chartreuse

and

  red 1 green .7 blue .1 green 1

If the latter followed "checker", where would you expect to find the comma?

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.