POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : HELP!!!!!! : Re: HELP!!!!!! Server Time
5 Sep 2024 16:19:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HELP!!!!!!
From: Steve
Date: 10 May 2000 19:26:47
Message: <slrn8hjrgl.h1l.sjlen@zero-pps.localdomain>
On Wed, 10 May 2000 23:15:24 +0300, Peter Popov wrote:
>On Wed, 10 May 2000 15:15:47 +0200, Tarax <tar### [at] mailcitycom>
>wrote:
>
>>After many setups of POV-Ray on my linux box, I haven't managed to
>>launch it yet. It seams to be well installed compared to the Doc
>>instructions but when I try to render a scene the answer is "povray :
>>command not found" wherever the directory I launch it from.
>
>The default installation makes two binaries, s-povray and x-povray (or
>was it without the hyphens?). The former is the shell version and the
>latter is the X binary. The binary which is built when making to the
>target unix (or newunix) is a general console version and it's binary
>is called povray. You shouldn't have this one installed if you did a
>default installation. Try the other two instead.

Like peter said, you'd normally have a command line like this

$ x-povray -Imypovfile.pov -Omypovfile.ppm -W800 -H600 +a0.3

for a quick render (without AA) change "+a0.3" to "-a0.3",
this turns off the aa.

I tend to have my command line in a bash script that runs POV
then displays the image in a viewer (in the background), then
I can keep that view window open and compare it with the next
render and keep as many view windows as I want and still have
the command line in that xterm free to run further commands.
I usually have the .pov file open in another xterm and usually
my text version of the docs open in another (all using different
colour schemes).

--
Cheers
Steve              email mailto:sjl### [at] ndirectcouk

web http://www.ndirect.co.uk/~sjlen/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

 12:01am  up 14 days,  2:02,  4 users,  load average: 1.12, 1.15, 1.10