POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Mega-POV Post-Processing Request : Re: Mega-POV Post-Processing Request Server Time
2 Sep 2024 12:16:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mega-POV Post-Processing Request
From: Ron Parker
Date: 24 Apr 2000 00:56:10
Message: <slrn8g7lj6.4b3.ron.parker@linux.parkerr.fwi.com>
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 00:45:49 -0400, Glen Berry wrote:
>What sort of range do the values have in a "typical" scene?

In a scene with no funny textures or light sources, it is usually
in the range of 0 to 1, but lots of bright lights can cause areas
that are washed out.  Assuming that all of the objects have diffuse,
specular, reflection, filter, ambient, and transmit values that sum
to 1 or less, it shouldn't ever be more than the sum of the values
of all the light sources in the scene, plus the largest ambient
value in the scene.

>What sort of min/max limits might be imposed on the values? (Simply
>the limits of floating point notation?)

Before they're clipped, yes.

>Are these values ever negative?

They can be, if you specify negative light sources or negative
finish properties.