POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : A Proposal for XML POV : Re: A Proposal for XML POV Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:21:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Proposal for XML POV
From: Peter J  Holzer
Date: 5 Apr 2000 16:01:21
Message: <slrn8en3mp.sf9.hjp-usenet@teal.h.hjp.at>
On Mon, 03 Apr 2000 22:16:21 -0400, pk wrote:
>And, i think that there's a little misunderstanding: i suggest that
>EVERYTHING except the raytracer(which is anyway interpreted by the cpu
>8)... That way, you could change the way everything behaves...
>an example:
>the textured light patch. if the light was interpreted, you could just
>use a function that tells you the distance from point 1 at angle x, y,
>z until you reach an object, and then change the color of the light at
>that angle(a micro sphere around the lightsources with a texture and
>filter at 1 would be an easy solution)

I'm not familiar with the inner workings of Povray, but I suspect that
the way light works is deep in core of the raytracer. If you implement
this in an interpreted language, you might as well implement the rest of
the raytracer in that language, too.

	hp

--

|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR     \ Durchbruch in der Bionik, und Microsoft geht
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ \ auf den Markt.           -- Stefan Schaefer