POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : What happened : Re: What happened Server Time
3 Oct 2024 11:16:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What happened
From: Ron Parker
Date: 21 Feb 2000 09:34:17
Message: <slrn8b2j7c.v8.ron.parker@ron.gwmicro.com>
On Mon, 21 Feb 2000 09:09:06 -0500, Glen Berry wrote:
>On Sun, 20 Feb 2000 18:10:59 -0600, "Bob Hughes"
><omn### [at] hotmailcom?subject=PoV-News:> wrote:
>
>>I try not to worry about any of it except for the possibility that someone might
>>be making huge amounts of money from something I've done.  I'd guess that would
>>be the sentiment of most anyone.
>>It would have to be more than coinage and dollar bills too though.
>>

>Like I said, I'm not upset, and I'm certainly not worried. I tried to
>convey that in my post. I'm just curious as to exactly what the
>POV-Team owns the copyright to, as expressed in that statement.
>Perhaps it is the overall "structure" of the discussion group, but not
>the content itself?

That statement doesn't say anything about the POV-Team owning the copyright.

To recap, the statement says:

|This copyrighted article comes from a private news server and may
|NOT be distributed on USENET or other news servers.

It doesn't say who owns the copyright, just that it's copyrighted.  It is
copyrighted, by the person who posted it.  The statement is there to remind
those who would redistribute the article that they may not do so without
the permission of the coypright holder, i.e. you or me or Ken or whoever.

By posting here, you implicitly gave the POV-Team permission to redistribute
your article to others who connect to this server to read news, but you did
so with the assumption that it would stay on this server and wouldn't go any
further, so distributing it in any other way would likely be in violation of
the implicit license you agreed to by posting it.

I am not, however, a lawyer, and I also do not presume to speak for the POV
Team here, so take what I've said above as the opinion of one plain ol'
ordinary person.