POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Help w/ syntax on library functions in isosurfaces. : Re: Help w/ syntax on library functions in isosurfaces. Server Time
2 Sep 2024 10:14:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help w/ syntax on library functions in isosurfaces.
From: Ron Parker
Date: 14 Feb 2000 16:55:33
Message: <slrn8agu7d.v8.ron.parker@ron.gwmicro.com>
On Mon, 14 Feb 2000 15:24:56 -0500, Greg M. Johnson wrote:
>> The docs for superpatch do not give any syntax at all on how to use
>> the named functions as functions in isosurfaces.
>>
>> I tried multiple iterations,  using
>>     superellipsoid and Superellipsoid
>>     <>, [], (),
>>
>> and couldn't get anything to work even with spheres.

See the thread in this newsgroup entitled "Superpatch built-in functions"
from 15 July.  Here are the relevant headers for the first article:

From: dav### [at] cwcomnet (David Wilkinson)
Newsgroups: povray.unofficial.patches
Subject: Superpatch built-in functions
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 20:13:22 GMT

In case you can't look it up (but you should, because it's a useful
thread) here's the syntax that works for me for the sphere function:

isosurface {  function { "Sphere" <1> }  pigment { color red 1}}

>> As a general note, it's always helpful to include a working example in
>> any documentation. From 3.1e and on, too many times the docs simply
>> say "this goes with that,"  with little clue to syntax.

Most of my docs were written by the people who wrote the original docs for
the patches I included, though I tried to make sure the syntax was spelled
out.  This particular case resulted from an oversight in copying R. Suzuki's
original documentation.  I'm no longer maintaining the superpatch, but if
someone wanted to write better docs for various parts of it, I'm sure Nathan
would gladly accept them.