POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : DNA! Giver of life...{46k} : Re: DNA! Giver of life...{46k} Server Time
3 Oct 2024 13:17:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DNA! Giver of life...{46k}
From: Ron Parker
Date: 14 Feb 2000 12:17:15
Message: <slrn8agdus.v8.ron.parker@ron.gwmicro.com>
On Sat, 12 Feb 2000 18:02:06 -0600, Bob Hughes wrote:
>If you're wondering what 'intervals' is I can only guess it is like a integral
>layers for the samples, and the samples of course being very much like the
>antialiasing of the image.

"intervals" is the maximum number of chunks POV will break the ray into for
purposes of calculating the color of the media.  An interval begins or ends
at the boundary of the area of illumination of a spot or cylinder light.
There's really no reason you should ever have to specify this; POV should be
able to figure it out for itself, and in fact Nathan has made it do so.

"samples" is the minimum and maximum number of sample points in an interval.
POV will sample at least the minimum number of points, and if the variance is
too high will continue sampling until either the variance is low enough or
the number of samples hits the maximum.