POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MegaPov 0.4, macros trouble : Re: MegaPov 0.4, macros trouble Server Time
2 Sep 2024 18:22:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MegaPov 0.4, macros trouble
From: Ron Parker
Date: 2 Feb 2000 12:56:57
Message: <slrn89grut.v8.ron.parker@ron.gwmicro.com>
On Wed, 02 Feb 2000 09:14:31 -0800, Jon A. Cruz wrote:
>Ron Parker wrote:
>> With all the problems CR/LF/CRLF cause us, why don't we just open the
>> scene files in binary mode?
>
>Probably because if you open a file as binary, you'd have to manage the
>conversion of CRLF to LF yourself, whereas opening in text mode handles some
>of it for you. Especially for DOS/Windows programmers, opening in text mode
>to get CRLF converted to LF is quite handy. Hmmm... I wonder if on the Mac it
>converts the simple CR to LF?

Other than //-comments, I can't think of any POV feature that distinguishes
between newlines and other whitespace, and there are none that care about
multiple newlines (unlike C, where a multiline #define gets messed up by
such things.)  That being the case, CR and LF could each be treated as EOL
characters, and the weird DOS practice of putting both of them on each
line would just be handled like a double-spaced file.  (CRCRLF would be
triple-spaced.)