POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Mega Photon Bug? : Re: Mega Photon Bug? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 18:18:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mega Photon Bug?
From: Steve
Date: 31 Jan 2000 13:57:50
Message: <slrn89bmbs.1d5.sjlen@zero-pps.localdomain>
On Sat, 29 Jan 2000 00:50:22 -0500, Nathan Kopp <Nat### [at] Koppcom> wrote:
>I didn't change anything about memory handling, so I don't know why this
>would act differently than the official version.  Did you compile your own
>official version, or download a binary?

Right I've now done some extensive experimentation.

I took a scene that will render in Official pov but requires
more memory than I have, so it's just a standard scene with
millions of objects.  In both official and Mega it gives
me a message telling me that it's run out of memory, no problem.
But when I render a scene with photons and it runs out of memory
while creating the photon data the box freezes completely.

I had to go out (yes actually outside the house) today so I set
the render running with xmegapov -Imyscene.pov and left it for
a few hours, it froze, so I thought give it a few hours and it
might sort itself out, but after the screen had cutout I couldn't
even get my display back by pressing the shift key the way I
normally do.  Before losing the screen and after the freeze
the mouse pointer wouldn't move, I couldn't Alt-Ctrl-Fn to another
session, I couldn't Alt-Ctrl-Backspace out of X.

One more thing that I will try is running a scene that has photons,
but runs out of memory before it gets to the point where it starts
to generate the photon data.  I will try this soon, and post the
results in this thread.

--
Cheers
Steve              email mailto:sjl### [at] ndirectcouk

web http://www.ndirect.co.uk/~sjlen/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

  6:37pm  up  4:09,  2 users,  load average: 1.44, 1.22, 1.14