POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : format for documentation : Re: format for documentation Server Time
2 Sep 2024 20:16:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: format for documentation
From: Ron Parker
Date: 26 Jan 2000 13:38:00
Message: <slrn88ufou.v8.ron.parker@ron.gwmicro.com>
On 26 Jan 2000 13:12:20 -0500, Rich wrote:
>All it takes is a bit of pre-planning; put each page in a fixed
>width table, so the format when printed will look exactly like the format
>on screen, and make sure each page will fit on a printed page.

Dear God, no!  What of the different screen resolutions in use around here?
Many of us run at 800x600, but many others run at 1600x1200.  No single
fixed width will work well with both sizes.

PDF is the thing to use if you're going for printed material and you insist
on a layout-based format.  It supports hyperlinks, it is always the same
layout, and it has good print quality.  Unfortunately, Acrobat's not available
for the Amiga.

I still contend that a good content-based format (DocBook, TexInfo) would
be better than any layout-based format (modern HTML, PS, PDF, Word) simply
because it can be converted to lots of different layout-based formats and
subformats (e.g. different stylesheets for different HTML usage.)  Good
converters also support automatic TOC and index generation.

If nobody else does it, I'll make an attempt to write a template for Word
for DocBook creation.