POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Warning for Cooledit install. : Warning for Cooledit install. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:12:10 EDT (-0400)
  Warning for Cooledit install.
From: Steve
Date: 17 Jan 2000 21:53:14
Message: <slrn887l4q.dkv.sjlen@zero-pps.localdomain>
This is just a cautionary note to anyone who mgiht install a program
called Cooledit.

I d/l'd it from "ftp://ftp.cs.tu-berlin.de/"  I unpacked it read the
instructions all the way through, compiled and installed it.  No
problem.

I later discovered that my PC was trying to send an email to the auther
to deliver some information about my machine, I hadn't agreed to this
or expected it.  I'll delete the outgoing message before I go on line
again, but I could have easily been caught out.

When I next started X I found that a second package Coolicons had also
been installed on my machine, there were about ten massive icons plastered
all over the screen, and quite a few of them were associated to files that
aren't available to this machine.

It's also made a change somewhere (I'm assuming, not 100% sure), to at
least  one of the mime settings, when I now go in to change the image for
an existing icon only xpm files are available where before both xpm and
png were available as icons.  For a new launcher I can still use png, but
not for existing ones.

Having said all of that it's a nice editor, I've got a script set up so
that by just pressing two keys it'll render, give me the ssages in a popup
window, and then will open the image in ee (Electric Eye), when the render
has finished.  It'll even send the cursor to the line where there's an error
if one is reported in the message window, I can just double click on that line.
It also lets me mark text and copy or move or cut with the shift key and arrow
keys which is the main thing that I've missed since moving to Linux.

--
Cheers
Steve              email mailto:sjl### [at] ndirectcouk

web http://www.ndirect.co.uk/~sjlen/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps