POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Fractal patch : Re: Distribution of the fractal patch (and specs) Server Time
3 Sep 2024 00:17:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Distribution of the fractal patch (and specs)
From: Ron Parker
Date: 4 Nov 1999 08:22:03
Message: <slrn82323c.v8.ron.parker@ron.gwmicro.com>
On Thu, 4 Nov 1999 00:09:41 -0500, Nathan Kopp wrote:
>I use a nice diff program (I use CSDiff) and make changes by hand.  Have you
>found success with diff3?  It kind of scares me to let something make
>changes to my source for me, especially after I've hacked up POV as much as
>I have.  ;-)

I've found success with my scripts based on diff3.  diff3 by itself isn't
enough, generally.  I have one script that compares one source directory to
another and copies just the changed files to a new directory, one that does
the merge and puts the results in a new directory, and one that reads the
results of the merge and builds a series of diff files to help me resolve
the inevitable conflicts (diff3 can mark HUGE blocks of text as conflicts,
even when only something small changed within them, and sometimes when
nothing changed in one of the merged versions.  Knowing that is quite helpful
sometimes.)

And of course I keep a backup until I've tested a new patch.  One of these
days I'll get around to finishing installing CVS and I'll stop worrying
because it'll do most of the hard work for me.