POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : English style? : Re: Close. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:24:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Close.
From: Ron Parker
Date: 12 Sep 1999 23:04:13
Message: <slrn7to938.kq.parkerr@linux.parkerr.fwi.com>
On Sun, 12 Sep 1999 18:21:29 -0700, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
>  I took your message as partly humorous :) and perhaps my one reply :)
>lacked in the needed quantity of smiley's :) :) to convey my one stance
>on the date issue. Personaly if I were you I would wait to cancel your
>message at least until Ron comes online tommorrow morning and let's you
>know what the povray source code dating convention is :)

I'm online on the weekends too, you know.  Just not as continuously.  I
just did a quick survey of the code and it appears that the official POV
dating convention is... none.  That's right, it depends on who wrote the
code.  Most of the official comments seem to be of the form "Oct 1996",
with no day, thus making it a moot point.  Of the ones who use days, I
see at least the "10-31-1996" format and the "31 October 1996" format,
but it seems to vary widely.  That, and I'm using my unofficial Superpatch
source here so it probably varies more widely than the official source.
Like everything else in POV, it seems to reflect the individuality of
the team members and other contributors.  I happen to think that's a
good thing.  Personally, I use the "31 Oct. 1996" format both in POV
and in my real life.  And I'm an American, believe it or not.

The original poster was right that the source is a bit schizo on the
issue of colo[u]r, but it tends to use the English spelling fairly
consistently in places where it matters to the programmer (only one
exception that I could find, Color_Bits) and it uses the American
spelling in user-interface code.  Comments seem to depend on who
wrote them.  Personally, I find myself writing the English spelling
even when I'm posting here, just because I've gotten used to typing
it that way in code.