POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : sPatch, Moray & csg : Re: sPatch, Moray & csg Server Time
6 Oct 2024 06:06:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sPatch, Moray & csg
From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 30 May 2001 14:56:33
Message: <s7gahtggmj6a8kdl7vomjtag369esq9v1g@4ax.com>
Hi Anoop Kumar, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> True. But Megapov *can* do CSGs using either the mesh or the mesh2
> format.
But a bezier patch is seldomly a solid object. I think MegaPOV can
handle CSG with patches (or triangles meshes for that matter) only if
they are closed (solid) objects. Otherwise there is no correct way of
displaying that.

> So, couldn't Moray export the *results* as a solid mesh
But then Moray would be undoing exactly what it wants to avoid ->
turning everything into triangles. Moray is NOT a triangle modeller,
which is what is required to do any sort of vertex editing. In
POV-Ray/Moray there are no vertices to edit when you are working with
CSG.

> Would this mean a major reworking? And wouldn't it be worth it, combining
> the power .....
That said, I do agree, however, that triangle modelling part of Moray
would be very useful in many ways. But look at the triangle modellers
out there, what they offer (and what they cost) and you can clearly
see that it's going to be a bit difficult to offer this as a part of
Moray....

> I really would love to use Moray for my normal (architectural) work
> but it's lack of spline support (& vertex editing) are discouraging.
Hmmmm, I would have thought that architectural work is ideally suited
to using CSG.....

Regards,

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom