POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Improved intersection routine for CSG-Intersection objects : Re: Improved intersection routine for CSG-Intersection objects Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:50:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Improved intersection routine for CSG-Intersection objects
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 10 Dec 2003 13:22:03
Message: <rn4ka1-tmi.ln1@triton.imagico.de>
Mael wrote:

> Of course it will be nice to see how it improves a "typical" scene (as far
> as such a thing exists..) and hopefully Andreas Kaiser will give us the
> numbers for benchmark.pov (though on a PIII 850MHz I can understand it might
> take him some time :) , Anyway when testing a modification in the code it
> seems normal to me to use a test case that makes the improvement evident.
> What if benchmark.pov is only 1% faster ? Will you say the patch is not
> worth and deprive all menger sponge builders out there of a nice speed up ?
> :))

If the gain for benchmark.pov is only 1% i would probably never do the
work of rewriting the code Andreas posted to POV-Ray syntax to try it.

There are mainly 3 criterias for a patch to make it into MegaPOV or
ultimately official POV:

- the patch is a useful improvement of functionality/performance
- the patch is well written, well tested and compatible to current POV-Ray.
- the patch is well documented (source and user level)

Since one of these points is not met and the other (documentation) is
not so relevant in this case the third is even more important.

But don't get me wrong, to me this patch seems quite useful at the first
glance so i would encourage Andreas to show additional test results and
code usable for current POV.

Christoph

Last updated 25 Oct. 2003 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______