POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : marbles - [16-bit JPEG2000] : Re: jpg version Server Time
11 Aug 2024 23:20:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: jpg version
From: IMBJR
Date: 5 Mar 2004 17:29:37
Message: <rkvh40pbrbocc188tu75ncoahu7kr5q8qj@4ax.com>
On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 15:07:59 -0600, "Mike Raiford"
<mra### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

>"IMBJR" <no### [at] spamhere> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 08:58:17 -0600, "Shay" <sah### [at] simcopartscom> wrote:
>>
>> Whilst I appreciate the idea behind reposting the image in standard
>> JPEG format, you have only succeeded in introducing artifacts and a
>> drop in colour-depth. The end result is a defacing of my original
>> posting.
>>
>> Please don't do this in the future. How would you like it if I took
>> your postings and reposted then as 4 colour GIFs or worse?
>
>FWIW, Most people aren't even going to be able to see the difference in the
>16bit/Component color as opposed to 8bit/C color. So, why not just post it
>as a standard jpg and save people who may not be compatible with a lesser
>known format.

Two words: gradient banding - and people can see it. Since POV is
capable of 16-bit colour depth I chose to utilise it and keep that
depth for the on-line version too.

However, how a particular piece of software or hardware device
displays a 16-bit image is another matter which is pretty much out of
my hands. Even with a 16-bit image, some platforms may introduce
banding as they attempt to display the image in a reduced depth.

Still, at least with a 16-bit colour depth image, the gradient-banding
reduction intent is there.

>I don't necessarily  think the posting of a standard JPG is nearly as bad as
>posting a "4 colour GIF".

Perhaps not, but the reposted image looked horrible compared to the
way I prepared it. I do not think it was a good idea to repost the
image in a manner that detracted from the original.

>People use a wide variety of OSes on these groups
>(remember, POV-Ray is multi-platform), some may not have access to tools to
>view a JPEG2000 file.

Different strokes yadda yadda. If you can see it, fine - if you
cannot, fine. I have merely presented the image in the manner in which
I intended it to be.

My First Subgenius Picture Book:
http://www.imbjr.com