POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : a modeler : Re: a modeler Server Time
4 May 2024 03:16:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: a modeler
From: RJay
Date: 27 Aug 2003 10:34:48
Message: <rhansenxremovex-C55FE8.09411227082003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <mat### [at] netplexaussieorg>,
 Matthew Pace <mat### [at] lycoscom> wrote:

>   hi, my names matt, you may have recently seen me in the new users or
> tutorials area.  I have been using povray for almost a year, off and on,
> now, and i love it.  i am disappointed, however, at the lack of
> modelers.  my first question, does anyone know of any free ones worth
> using (even for X11, i have started using that recently).  secondly, i
> am thinking of making a modeler for povray (this may take awhile).
> would you be willing to pay $5 or $10 dollars (as i have no job, no car,
> and need some income) for a modeler that did meshes, splines, bicubic
> patches, and possibly more advanced stuff?  would you prefer carbon or
> cocoa?  would anyone like to help in making the program?  im looking for
> suggestions, ideas, and general input right now.  thanks for your time,
> ~matt

Take a look at Art of Illusion, available here:

http://www.artofillusion.org/

It's a free, open source 3D program, written in Java and does modeling,
animation, rendering, procedural textures etc. Someone wrote a POV-Ray
3.5 export module and in my experimentation with it so far, it does a
nice job of writing out POV-Ray files, including textures.

It runs real well on my B&W G3 in OS X. The developer uses a Mac, and I
think he's done most, if not all the development in OS 9. I'm pretty
impressed with it so far.