POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : IRTC-WIP4 (246 kb) : Re: IRTC-WIP4 (246 kb) Server Time
18 Aug 2024 12:18:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC-WIP4 (246 kb)
From: Peter Popov
Date: 14 Jun 2001 15:41:31
Message: <rajgitcmvekvvr4hrteqbffmmft5bfj35q@4ax.com>
It is just my two cents, but I think you should concentrate on the
picture and not on submitting it. It is a really stunning picture, so
natural, so realistic. And of course it would become even more so with
the addition of some insects. But it would still be a landscape
picture and not an insects picture.

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 00:20:49 +0200, you wrote:
>definitively there have to be insects and they should be visible.

Indeed. But you should somehow put the focus on them. Insects are
small. If you want to have one close-up, and still have a realistic
picture, you'll have to use focal blur... and that would be a great
loss, considering all the details that will be lost.

>I had two solutions in mind.
>First a part of a tree with bark and a bug climbing the trunk.

Or an insect half-drowned in a sap drop? That would make for an
interesting raytracing showcase. Maybe when you buy that Athlon...

>Second a big flower like a hemlock and a bug and ants.

How about a branch in close-up and a spider web with a spider and a
fly in it? Or maybe a caterpillar pretending to be a piece of bark? Or
a cocoons of sorts. Two fighting (or mating) praying beetles. You can
also try a cliche, a fish catching a mosquito.

That's precisely what I am pointing my finger at. You are obviously
very good in coding, modelling, texture and lighting. You have to be
at least as good in composition to make the picture so that the focus
is on the insect, it is large enough, and none of the detail is lost.

>So I have to choose a flying insect.

See my other suggestions. Maybe you could use a little spider hanging
on a thread somewhere in the lower-right part of the image.

>Since I have no experience with motion blur, I have a butterfly (or two) in
>my mind.

Try putting them on a water lily, two of them. The bright green and
white of the lily would make a great background for some vivid yellow
or red. Just a suggestion.

Once again, outstanding work!

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg